April Fools! Originally, I was going to do the second Mini-Contest in May to go along with the bi-monthly schedule, but due to some scheduling conflicts, we're going to do it this month instead! So yay, more writing for everyone. If you've never participated in a Mini-Contest before and you're not quite sure what that entails, then you can find out some general information here: http://redwallsurvivor.com/forums/index.php?topic=1440.msg15117#new
You'll find out everything you need to know along with some of the rules for the board.
Right, let's not waste any time and get right to the prompt, or should I say... prompts. Like last month, we're not doing any gimmicks in regards to writing style, however, this time, we're going to experiment with the idea of multiple prompts that you are able to choose between. You can only write for one, however, so make your choice wisely.
A vermin tells their child(ren) a bedtime story.
A young warlord visits their grandparents.
Speaking the last prompt was so centered on Redwall, it was only fitting that these be centered on vermin. I like these prompts because I think they both have the potential to be funny and lighthearted, or even dark and sinister. Just have fun with it.
Rules for Submission-
• Submissions should be no longer than 1500 words. https://wordcounter.net/
- this is the word counter I like to use in regards to checking totals. It prevents any word count discrepancies between different word processing software.
• You may apply with only one submission, so be sure to consider both prompts carefully before you make your final decision. Make your writing count. Proofread and revise where needed.
• All Submissions should be in a PG to PG13 rating in regards to the content.
• Like with Survivors, there will be an anonymity rule. It is important that you do not tell anyone which submission is yours. This is, of course, so that when it comes time for the audience to vote for the winner, there is no possible bias. Winning should be because you created the best story, not because you have the most friends.
• In MO3 I decided to include a rule that said all writing should remain in third person perspective, past tense. This was mostly done so that there couldn't be any potential weirdness or jarring shifts in tenses during the story proper. Seeing how these mini contests don't require the coordination that Survivors do, this rule will not be enforced. Feel free to write in whatever style you want. That being said, do remember that writing in different styles will not automatically draw me to your submission. I'm simply looking for quality writing, so don't use it as a gimmick.
• The Deadline for Submissions is April 20th at 11:59 PM EST.
While I personally think two weeks is plenty of time for 1500 words, I'm extending the deadline just slightly for this contest just to hopefully ensure more participants. When you've finished your story and are ready to submit, you will send it to me through a private message on the forum with the topic- MC Submission- April 2017. Please include a title in the body of your work so that I may be able to tell them apart more easily, as well as specifying which prompt you have chosen. Also, please remember proper forum formatting. Keep your paragraphs neat and organized. I don't want to read massive walls of text with no spaces in between them. They should be set up in the same manner the paragraphs in this thread are.
Right, with that said, I look forward to everyone's submissions. As a general plan so that everyone is aware of what I'm going to do- I will be judging them all based on their writing quality and content, as well as their originality. From the pool of submissions I will choose 3-5 favorites- based on how many I receive- and post them in the Results board on the 22nd (depending on how many last minute submissions come in). There, the Redwall Survivor users are free to read each of them publicly and vote for which one they think should be the winner. The current Mini-Contest champion is: Matra Hammer
, so he's the one to beat. Best of luck
If there are any questions in regards to the rules, how to submit, or the prompt, feel free to reply to this thread or send me a PM. Best of luck to everyone, and happy writing!