Author Topic: Vizon's Fastidious Dissections  (Read 8650 times)

Mila

• MOII Contestant
  • Near Threatened
    • Awards
Re: Vizon's Fastidious Dissections
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »
I think part of the reason there are so many plot threads - beyond so many authors - is the very nature of the serialized story. It's like a TV show, where every episode needs to be exciting in itself. Add to that the fact that everyone is trying to make their post the most interesting and gripping, and it lends itself to moving through plot rather quickly.

I also think that's why we don't see as many "nice" characters anymore. The stereotype in the ROC seems to be that nice characters are boring and predictable (no doubt due in part to Redwall canon), and I think most people steer away from that in favor of trying to make flawed, realistic characters. Granted, it's possible to have both, but when your survival in the story depends on a character that is more interesting than at least one other, it's easy to shy away from that "woodlander" mentality.

As for this story, in particular, we had a great cast of writers and characters, but often had a difficult time coming to plot consensus throughout, and it definitely showed.

All that said, thanks a million times over for sticking through this entire thing, Vizon. An interested audience makes all the difference in the world, and I can say without exaggeration that you made the story not feel like an exercise in futility.

Your comments about the story's dark nature are well taken. A lot of that, I would say, has to do with the setting. It's more modern than most, which raised a lot of questions maybe not asked in others. Due to a more politicized and connected world, events had wider reaching consequences. There weren't isolated incidents that happened in one place; rather, they affected everyone. It made it harder to know where to stop the story. Sure, we could have ended it after making it to the surface, but - to me at least - that didn't feel complete. If this had been a story a hundred years before, it would have made sense that this could have all been caused by a lone bunch of crazies, and it was all over once we surfaced, but that felt like selling ourselves short. As Orson Welles said, “If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.”

That said, I like to think of Luummae's most recent post as the end of the story proper, with the villains finally defeated - or at least justice on the way. And then my last post is the first of the epilogues proper, showing the aftermath of everything. There's a trial going on, sure, but it's also showing how Mila - and, to a lesser extent, Sal and Luu - has coped with events nearly a year later. And finally, we'll get a closer look at how Luu and Sal have coped, but also be shown where they go from here.

Now that I look at it, though, I think you're right that my epilogue could also work as the ending of the story. And it's all in the same board, anyway, so both views are totally cool.

On a final note, this is rather turning out to be a Lord of the Rings never-ending endings scenario, isn't it.

Poko

• MO Contestant
  • Vizon
  • Endangered
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »
Hey, so are you all still chatting and batting around ideas? It's been a while. If this story were a creature, I'd be
feeling for a pulse! I'm not checking in hardly so often, so I bet others aren't checking at all.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:32:49 PM by Poko »

Salazar

• MOII Contestant
  • Matra Hammer
  • Near Threatened
  • Old River Soul
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »
The chat is idle with no sighting of my fellow authors. The only way forward is for me to finish the final two epilogue pieces, but I've neither Luu's parting wishes nor the motivation. There's no audience besides you, no administrator behind the scenes, and without the one or two co-authors...I'm tapped. I've given so much to this contest already, as have you, Vizon.

But I don't want to leave you hanging. I can't muster up 20+ pages of work covering every angle, but if there's anything in particular you want to know or see then I can draft up a few closing scenes. Perhaps that's the most appropriate way of closing this beast. You certainly deserve that much and more for your support.

EDIT: Subscribed to this topic so I'll get your wishes ASAP.
"Trust me," said Sal. "I'll get us home."
- Salazar Betsalel, Mossflower Odyssey II Survivor

Poko

• MO Contestant
  • Vizon
  • Endangered
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »
Well, as I was saying to Mila, I thought her last epilogue ended the story well enough. So no real need for further extra exertions as far as I'm concerned. I guess mostly I was just curious what you & Luu were going to add. Like what ideas were you bouncing around? What did you both feel needed to be said yet? Maybe Sal ends up not alone? Maybe he & Luu end up living in the same cottage away from civilization since they're both a bit addled and understand one another? I was just curious.

And as for the inactivity around here - do you think Redwall Survivor will survive? Or is it doomed to go the way of the rest of the ROC? It's been a fun little side activity full of nostalgia, but stuff like this needs not only active participants to stay alive, but also involved admins. We don't have the same reserves of free time as we used to, I suppose.

On that note - what are you busy with, IRL, I wonder? Career? Family? Writing your own novel? All of the above? ;)
Thanks for being a sport.

Salazar

• MOII Contestant
  • Matra Hammer
  • Near Threatened
  • Old River Soul
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »
The only loose end for Sal is Melinda, his wife. That was the epilogue idea for me. A final visit to the sanitarium for making peace with his broken wife. Haven't decided how it'll go, but it would've ended with him leaving the building and meeting Luu and Mila "by the car" before riding off into the sunset. There were talks of joining Mila in adventures that mirrored her father, but nothing concrete.

Is this all over? I hope not. It's my first contest and I'd hate for it all to end. Are there any general redwall rp sites? Is that out of fashion? Why not rp alongside the contest as it goes? Building the world alongside the main contestants sounds like a boatload of fun. Reviewing certainly was for me in the last contest. I think you're onto something with the admin end. Someone actively running the community would draw people and keep them interested. Especially since this particular site has so many past members.

This contest started a year ago. While seeing it through to completion I wrote a 400+ page novel (Zevka is lending an editorial eye as I type.) I moved from one state to another and switched a few jobs. Relationship problems, family emergencies, physical ailments - suffered them all while keeping Sal going.

Point is: life happens but you make time for what you love. I love Redwall. Always have since I first borrowed a copy from my elementary school's library. And I'll keep making time for this so long as the opportunities are there. You'll see me if (or when) there's another contest. If there's an RP going on somewhere else then let me know and I'll pitch in.

Gah, got a little gushy. My bad.

Vizon, do you have a commission sheet? You've provided so many lovely portraits and I was hoping to support you with CASH MONEY for a couple more. Nothing complex. Let me know if you're willing.

Ortha

• MOII Contestant
  • Lowest Risk
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2015, 02:00:32 AM »
I drop in here every so often. I didn't really contribute to the epilogue stuff (though my characters have made an appearance, hi there!) because I don't really feel like this story is "mine." Difficult to get into, but I feel like there's an implicit contrast between how I feel I'm "supposed to" write to satisfy my own standards of fidelity to the Redwall books and not being too pushy a teammate, and what gets rewarded by readers etc. So I could keep trying to beat my head against the wall, but it feels too disingenuous to bother. Absolutely not a slight on any particular individual or group of people, just a philosophical resignation to where I'm at.

I think I mentioned somewhere (maybe just in the chat) that I got assigned to write a Redwall fanfiction piece for a big multi-fandom gift exchange this past Christmas, and I'm grateful to Salazar for looking it over for me. If people like, I can link it here--although I suppose that'll out me, but I'm a contest and a half behind on reveals anyway.  ::)

Vizon

« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2015, 07:34:28 PM »
Vizon, do you have a commission sheet? You've provided so many lovely portraits and I was hoping to support you with CASH MONEY for a couple more. Nothing complex. Let me know if you're willing.

Oooo, that'd be a nice change. When you say a "commission sheet" do you mean like... a list of prices for things I can do? If so...no I don't XD

BUT maybe I can figure one out. PM me. We'll talk.

I think I mentioned somewhere (maybe just in the chat) that I got assigned to write a Redwall fanfiction piece for a big multi-fandom gift exchange this past Christmas, and I'm grateful to Salazar for looking it over for me. If people like, I can link it here
Ortha, I think that could be fun to read.

Mila

• MOII Contestant
  • Near Threatened
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »
Well, I was checking in pretty regularly, but I've been traveling for the past month with useable Internet available only so often. Just about to jump back into my old routine again, though, so I'll be around again as much as anyone, I imagine.

Salazar

• MOII Contestant
  • Matra Hammer
  • Near Threatened
  • Old River Soul
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2015, 09:21:41 AM »
It's Mila and Ortha! Hooray!

I really enjoyed Ortha's piece. No stabbing, no weird chemicals, and all the fuzzy, warm Redwall tropes a growing shrew like me needs. I'd love to see bi-weekly mini contests along these lines. Like, the admin puts up a topic/theme/intro, we all get a week to put in an anonymous entry, voting begins at the start of the second week, and at the end of the second week a winner is announced. No year-long commitment and all the fun of friendly competition. People could still review and whatnot too.

Glad seeing you around, Mila. Hope your travels were for fun instead of necessity/work. I'm hoping Luu shows up too. If she gets her piece up I'll whip mine up to follow. The main story is complete so there's no real rush.

That's exactly what I meant, Vizon. I'll fire you a PM.

Ortha

• MOII Contestant
  • Lowest Risk
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
Here's the link to my story. And yes, I was Ember Nickel (most recently Gashrock). :gashrock:

Vizon

« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2015, 08:32:24 PM »
Here's the link to my story. And yes, I was Ember Nickel (most recently Gashrock). :gashrock:

Aha! That's funny that I was comparing you to Gashrock earlier then. And what irony for Gashrock to become a mole in her "next life."

Thanks for linking us!

Mila

• MOII Contestant
  • Near Threatened
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
Glad seeing you around, Mila. Hope your travels were for fun instead of necessity/work.

They WERE, thank the Lord. A lovely winter holiday to some lovely places.

Ember Nickel! Well hello! I don't believe we ever really had a talk before, but you're one of those folks I seem to remember always seeing around forums.

Ortha

• MOII Contestant
  • Lowest Risk
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that I've finally started watching a real season of "Survivor," the TV show. I'd never seen it before. But I'm in a competition on another site that's emulating the show (as human characters, not animals, and it's not really a writing-contest style thing--but very elaborate and absorbing!) One of my fellow tribe members there happens to live nearby me IRL, so he loaned me some DVDs, and now I can see what all this hype is about! :P

Hope you're well.

Mila

• MOII Contestant
  • Near Threatened
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:05 PM »
Survivoooor! Haha, love that show. It's one of my guilty pleasures. Welcome to the tribe.